Music4Change® Community Outreach
Recreational Music Center (RMC) is transforming and enriching lives through music. We believe that the trajectory of a person's life can be positively altered by the effect of music, both emotionally and cognitively. Our organization combines its strong background in music education with the success of its community outreach programs.
Music4Change® is RMC's division of community outreach. It provides and models excellence in music education in non-traditional, underserved venues. The Music4Change® C.O.R.P.S. (community outreach, resources, programs and services) facilitates active participation, engaged learning and meaningful connections in music to the community. Music4Change® brings quality music programming, free of charge, to individuals and groups who might not otherwise have the opportunity to play an instrument or experience live music performances. Examples include:
- Dare to Drum Assemblies: Our hands-on drumming experience promotes critical social skills that are useful in community settings. Youth perform as part of an ensemble, which helps them feel included by their peers. Without the long learning curve associated with other musical instruments, drumming delivers "instant achievement" and a sense of empowerment.
- Senior Outreach: This effort involves live music performances for residents of Assisted Living centers, offering RMC students an opportunity to enrich, highlight and share their musical talents while learning the valuable benefits of community service. RMC faculty also provide a free Ukelele Club to seniors at Saint Paul's Villa in San Diego, where residents keep their fingers nimble, their brains sharp and their hearts full with weekly ukelele lessons.
- In-School Music Education Programs: We provide in-school music programs to thousands of students for free or at a greatly reduced cost to local schools. Our program teaches general music concepts with instruments and singing, and always ends with a final concert to teach performance skills. Our curriculum is tailored to fit the needs of each school, and utilizes current artists such as Imagine Dragons' On Top of the World to keep students engaged and inspired. RMC is currently providing music education programs to the following schools during the 2016-2017 school year:
- Pacific Beach Elementary (418 students)
- Kate Sessions Elementary (492 students)
- Porter Elementary (begins in January 2017)
- Fay Elementary
- Saint Charles Borromeo Academy (247 students)
Music4Change® holds community outreach events throughout the year. Outreach events take place in non-traditional settings such as women's shelters, non-profit partners benefiting youth, Rady Children's Hospital, service organizations for disadvantaged youth, service clubs and Assisted Living centers. Events are announced through social media, news media and e-blasts.
Music4Change® is committed to empowering the community through music education, cultural enrichment, and social service.
Please consider joining the Music4Change® C.O.R.P.S. by filling out a volunteer application and turning it in to Rich Servantez in Studio 200. Please email email@example.com with any questions. Click HERE to donate!
Music4Change™ provided a free Dare to Drum assembly to iExplore Elementary in Tijuana. Most of the children had never played an instrument.
RMC faculty member Matt Boardman making the residents smile as he teaches them to play Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
RMC students posing in their Halloween costumes with residents after performing music for them and playing bingo together at our annual Autumn Outreach event.